01 02 03 My Spreadsheet Brain: "Hello baby!" - The day my Curly arrived {1st Birthday Celebrations} 04 05 15 16 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 31 32 33

"Hello baby!" - The day my Curly arrived {1st Birthday Celebrations}

34
Today we celebrate one of the most special days in my life: The day I became the mommy to a beautiful little girl! Our Curly turns 1 years old! Wow! What a trip!

If you've been travelling down memory lane with me the past couple of days as I shared stories on when I found out I was pregnantmy pregnancy, my ultrasound drama, all the baby showers and all the other little things in between, then I thank you for enjoying this journey with me. 

I read a beautiful saying the other day: When a baby is born, a mother is born. 
And that's exactly how I feel! Even though I had been a mom for a good 12 years when I found out I was pregnant with Curly, I had never been the mom of a girl before! Being the mom to a boy and being the mom to a girl is the same in many aspects but also holds such big differences! 
I celebrate the gentleman my boy is turning into all the time and I thank God for his life. Raising a son has many rewards! Just like how raising a daughter has it's own rewards. And so today I celebrate that God had given me another chance to be a mom... That He saw my heart and gave me the opportunity to be the mommy to a little girl, who will one day grow up to be a beautiful, smart, creative woman! Anyways, I can go on and on and on but let me pull myself towards myself and start at the beginning! 

"Hey babe, let's watch Generations!" 
So, if you remember from my previous post, exactly a year ago today, we woke up really early (5:30 yo!) because my gynae had advised me to  get my pregnant butt to the labor room since I had been 'in labor' for a couple of hours by then. Keeping in mind I was still in no real pain or anything. But you can read all about that in yesterdays post.

So Hubstopher and I woke up super early, got ready and took a slow drive to the hospital... watching as the city woke up around us. We were so excited, but in such a calm way! It was a serene drive and we barely spoke, as we listened to some music on the car radio. I cant even remember which songs we were listening to, but I do remember being extremely emotional as each word in those songs found new life in my heart. The fact that I was carrying life inside of me - beautiful life that holds so much potential, about to be birthed! - It made my heart want to burst!

Contractions monitor thing
We walked into the labor room at about 6:20am, to be greeted by extremely friendly and chipper nurses who advised us that all the labor rooms are full. But seeing my totally calm disposition, they asked us to have a seat at the nurses station in the meantime, while they prepare a room for me. We spent the next while chatting to the nurses and generally have a good ol time socializing, like only the Williams can! I was eventually placed in a room at about 7am, where I watched Generations (for the first time in my life) and took a nap.

When I woke up, I decided to give the big bouncy birthing ball a spin. Hubstopher enjoyed my antics and took video clips and photos. I was like, Im going to bounce on this thing until my baby comes out because I cant wait anymore! :) At about 9am a nice nurse came and did the dreaded finger test on me. She advised that she would need to help my water to break a bit more. At 11am we were moved to the room where I am meant to give birth in... which (in my head) is the same room I gave birth to my son in! I am sure it is.
It is. Okay? It is.

"They see me rollin...."
Hubstopher switched his Macbook on and the room was filled with beautiful worship music. We turned the lights down low and prepared for the arrival of our little girl (after taking a couple of pics - I dont even want to post all of them because they are hilarious and very silly). My mom stopped by to see if I am okay. She laughed at me. How loving of her :) My darling Hubstopher kept doing little happy dances, as the realization hit him: We were going to meet our little doll soon!

I took a walk up and down the hospital stairs, to get some baby moving action going. And by that time I started feeling intense contractions mixed with...oh what is that I feel down below... PAIN!

*swooon*
It hurt real bad (like the Danny K song) but it was manageable. I had long before decided that I would not lay on my back, like in the medieval times, and allow my contractions to get the better of me. No ways Margaret! I handled my contractions by standing next to my hospital bed, with my arms and head resting on the bed. So my belly was "hanging", basically. With each contraction I breathed in and out deeply. I believe this really helped since the gravity of standing helped my baby to get into position quicker and there was less pressure on my back (which normally happens when you are laying down). All of this was coupled with clever quips from the husband and even more quirkier comebacks from me. I remember laughing a lot and giving him running commentary of each feeling that I was experiencing.

But look, I am no super woman! Eventually, I had to get my sexy laboring butt onto that hospital bed! Hubstopher tried to sweet talk me and gave me little rubs and kisses and kind words but I reached a point where I was like, "babe, Im sorry to be rude, but can you not touch me anymore please?!" Hahahaha Hey, atleast I was polite!

By 1pm, I was like, "nurse, something is happening! I think I need to push!" I don't think they were quite ready for that because she had to quickly go and call the doctor. When he got there, it was like... 1 push...2 push... 3 push... Baby! Ta daaahhhh!

My beautiful! 

I remember looking at her and thinking... omw, I just gave birth and now I have a baby!!!
I also remember thinking, "Praise the LORD, that is over! Woohoo! No more being in labor!"
I couldnt stop staring at her as she wailed those first few cries, and I said "hello! hello baby!"
I laughed! Infact, Hubstopher and I both laughed.
We were like... "look at her hair!" laugh laugh laugh
"Listen to her cry!" laugh laugh laugh

There was just SO much joy in the room!
JUST what I wanted!
Hubstopher was quite emotional, and when he held her for the first time he immediately spoke a blessing over her. He was swooning!

The nurse placed her against my skin and she immediately began looking for boob hahaha.
Eventually, I got up to have a shower and change, as my mom dressed our curly girly in clothing for the very first time. She looked like a china doll!



This has been the craziest ride of my life! It wasn't always easy (don't let me get started on breastfeeding and sitz baths and how to get your life back after having a baby!)  But this has been a crazy, fantastic, giddy ride of pure joy!
This girl has taught us the fundamentals of life. Things are such simple truths but so easy to forget!
For example:
- Wake up curious and go to bed not wanting to miss a thing!
- Give kisses freely and don't be afraid to show when you love someone.
- Life is too short to pretend to like something. :)
- Find beauty in the little things. Find beauty in the box, instead of what's in (or not in) the box.
- Be selective with who you surround yourself with.
- Forgive so easily and freely, that 5 minutes later you forgot what you were crying about.
- And lastly, never be too scared to take a leap of faith! (even if it means trying to dive off the bed! heehee)

I am blessed to be her mommy!
Happy 1st Birthday my curly girly!

Labels:

35 36 37 38